December 9, 2008

Disappointed in DTV

Anyone else underwhelmed with digital television?

OK I admit I will never be confused with an Engadget blogger. For someone who works in educational technology and was a TV producer I am oddly a relic when it comes to television consumption. I am not a cable subscriber. I want to retire someday and I would rather pay myself a $100 a month than a cable company (I suspect the economy will drive others to join me.) My TV is a small 16 year old analog set.

So given my modest viewing experience, DTV seemed like an exciting possibility: clear reception, multiple channels. I eagerly requested my coupon. So far I have been roundly disappointed.

Despite living nine miles from downtown two of the major stations frequently stutter and halt, the signal too weak to play smoothly. And what happened to multicasting? The NBC affiliate gives a weather channel (gee I can't get that anywhere) and the ABC affiliate shows old movies -- bad movies -- on its alternative channel. PBS gives me some diversity -- legislative sessions and a channel dedicated to how to programs -- but not much that adds to my life or is particularly local.

So this transition to DTV was supposed to be in the public interest? You would think that given all the extra broadcast capacity stations now have there would be some local programming requirements. Even local sports is now almost entirely relegated to cable TV.

I hope a new FCC and Congress puts some meaningful public service requirements on broadcasters.

No comments: